Financial Aid/Scholarships

Financial aid is the money available to help students and their families meet college expenses. Sources may be federal, state, private or institutional.

Types of Financial Aid

  • scholarships: money that does not need to be repaid, may or may not be based on need
  • work/study: money that is paid for work performed while in school
  • grants: money that does not need to be repaid, usually based on need
  • loans: money that is borrowed and must be paid back, usually includes an interest rate charge

The philosophy of financial aid is that it is the parent and student responsibility to pay for higher education expenses to the extent they are able, and that the family’s financial circumstances should be evaluated in a consistent and equitable manner in determining the amount of aid they are eligible to receive.

Click on the Scholarship Opportunity buttons below to learn about current opportunities.  The BCHS Scholarships focus on local, regional and state sources, and CHS students earn some of these every year. The Oregon Gear Up Scholarships focus on state and national scholarships, and there may be some overlap.

Federal and State Aid

FAFSA, the free federal financial aid form is required by most colleges if you are applying for scholarships and/or financial aid. Gather supporting documents and information prior to filing the form in October of your senior year.

  • Form must be filled out electronically at
  • Both the student and parent will each need a PIN for login. Apply for the PIN at

The Office of Student Access and Completion is a state program that helps Oregon students plan and pay for college.

Oregon Promise Grants

Oregon Promise is a state grant program that helps to cover most tuition costs at any Oregon community college for recent high school graduates and GED® recipients. Oregon Promise award amounts for are available in the OSAC Student Portal.

You must meet all of the eligibility and application requirements:


  1. Submit the Oregon Promise Grant Application by the appropriate deadline.
  2. Submit the FAFSA or ORSAA and list at least one Oregon community college. You must complete this by your application deadline.


  • Be a recent Oregon high school graduate or GED® test graduate.
  • Attend an Oregon community college by your required start termbased on your graduation date.
  • Have a 2.50 cumulative high school GPA or higher, or a 145 grade on all GED® tests.
  • Be an Oregon resident for at least 12 months prior to college attendance. For dependent students, your parent(s) must also live in Oregon.
  • Have no more than 90 college credits completed or attempted.
  • Students may be subject to eligibility requirements based on their Expected Family Contribution (EFC). EFC eligibility requirements are subject to change based on available funding.
    • There is a tentative EFC limit of 34,000 for new applicants (Class of 2020) who will begin college in Fall 2020. Visit Oregon Promise FAQs for all details. The final EFC limit will be determined in July 2020.

Institutional Aid

Check with the school you plan to attend: the school’s website or catalog for scholarships/financial aid opportunities. Check under Financial Aid and/or academic departments.