Students are required to attend school regularly until grade 12 unless exempted by law. At CHS we expect students to come to school on time and ready to learn. We realize that there can be complications in schedules, and that a student may need to be tardy or absent. Please review our school's policy on attendance to learn how to excuse an absence and what happens if there is an unexplained absence(s).
How To Excuse an Absence
- Prior to the absence, notify the school by calling the CHS attendance line 24/7 at 541-757-5888.
- If a verification note is required (permission slip, doctor’s note), make sure to turn that into the attendance office before the absence.
- If your student is sick or there is a family emergency and your student cannot attend school, notify the attendance office and they will excuse your student for the day.
Unless otherwise arranged with the teacher, students are expected to complete any missing assignments or course materials missed. If the student will be missing for several days it is advisable to get the upcoming assignments as well.
Circumstances for an Excused Absence
A child may be excused from school for the following circumstances:
- Student illness or injury
- Bereavement or illness of an immediate family member that requires the student to stay home
- Religious instruction (under regulation of Oregon law)
- Educational or occupational interviews
- Emergency situations that require the student’s absence
- School-approved field trips and activities
- Medical or dental appointments (verification of appointment may be needed)
- Legal or court appointments
- Other reasons approved by the Corvallis School District
If you need to excuse an absence, contact Debbie Begin in the Attendance Office.
Consequences of Unexcused Absences
A student is required to attend school regularly during the school term. In the event of a minor unexcused absence, the parent/guardian will receive a message in person, by phone call, or another way of communication notifying them that their student has an unexplained absence
Failure to maintain regular attendance (no more that 8 missed unexcused half days in a four week period) may result in a citation to the parents for violating attendance laws. Failure to attend school regularly is a Class C violation of law and therefore may be punishable by a court imposed fine.
Our goal is to help all students regularly attend school. Please contact your student’s counselor or the attendance behavior specialist for assistance. For more information on attendance rules look at the Student Parent handbook.