Financial Aid Night – Wednesday, December 10, 2014, at 7:00pm in the CHS library.


What is federal student aid?


It’s financial help for eligible students to pay for education expenses. There are three categories of federal student aid: grants, work-study and loans.


How do I apply for federal student aid?


Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) found at You need to apply early (preferably the first three weeks of January) and estimate your taxes if you need to but don’t wait until April! One parent and the student each must have a pin number to sign it electronically and this should be done prior to filling out an application. Pin numbers are obtained at Make sure you print a copy of your FAFSA.

After you apply, you will receive a Student Aid Report (SAR) which includes your expected family contribution (EFC). This is the amount that the government expects parents to pay. The FAFSA must be filed in January of every year if your student intends to enroll in the fall term.